To apply for Security Guard registration in New York, candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Have passed a New York State Department of Justice background check;
- Be a citizen of the United States; have a resident alien card (a green card), or have a work authorization card;
- Show proof of completion of the 8-Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course (before applying with New York State)
Croker provides special attention to each individual in assisting and guiding you every step of the way.
New York State / Third-Party Fees:
- Application Fee to apply for a Security Guard Registration Card: $36.00
- Electronic Fingerprinting Fee (Paid to IdentoGo): $99.00
Note: New York State requires these fees. They are separate from the cost of your Croker security guard training courses.
To save you time and money, Croker will assist you through the entire application process.
In order to receive your security guard certification, candidates must complete two (2) training courses.
- Before applying to the Department of State for a Security Guard Registration Card, candidates must take an 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course. The pre-assignment training course covers important information that everyone working as a security officer must know.
- Once you have secured a position as a security guard, you must complete a 16 Hour On-the-Job Training (OJT) Course for Security Officers within 90 days. This class covers the duties of a security officer and procedures relevant to a work site.
The initial 8-hour and 16-hour courses only have to be taken once, but you are required to take an 8 Hour Annual In-Service Training Course for Security Officers every year that you work as a security guard.
Sign up for Croker’s 8 Hour Annual In-Service Training Course for Security Officers every year to maintain your security guard certification. If you fail to complete the annual in-service training course, it may result in losing your security officer license.
- Fingerprint Locations: Click Here
- Employee Statement and Security Guard Application (Form DOS-1206-f-a)
- Duplicate License / Registration Request (Form DOS-1508-f)
- Department of State Division of Licensing Services – Index of Licensees and Registrants (Click Here)
Where do I send the application?
New York Department of State
Division of Licensing Services
PO Box 22052
Albany, NY 12201-2052
Can I get a security guard registration card if I have a criminal record?
NYS Department of State, Division of Licensing Services is responsible for the registration of security guards. All questions concerning the registration of security guards must be directed to that office at (518) 474-7569.